Before: Registration was open between 07:00 and 08:10. So got up around 6, and left around 06:50. The family also decided to come along too :-). On arrival at the venue, it was straightforward and pleasant to register, and not difficult to find space in transition to rack my bike and stash my shoes.
The race: the swim was okay, if slow. I was 50 seconds slower than my predicted time. The bike ride was lovely – the sun came out just as I started. However had just reached the daydreaming phase, after 35 minutes, when I got a puncture. This was about 8 km from the end. The wheel fortunately held onto just about enough air to hobble to transition – though I had to lean entirely on the front wheel for the last 3 km, and the last 500 m was rather rough. The puncture meant a loss, in total, of 10 minutes during the ride.
The run was mostly quite nice: it is hard to get off a bike and start running, but again after 15 minutes, again had reached the happily daydreaming phase. Robert (age 4) also ran with me for 400 m near the end – which we both found fun. Transitions were fine, but slow. Though my time on the webpage is wrong. Around 1:21:30 is correct – the organisers seem to have added 9 minutes to my runtime. Can probably see from the pix that I rather enjoyed it:
Approaching transition 1.
Notes for next time:
- Get a triathlon belt (pix: see finisher who is just behind me). This allows your race number to be clipped over whatever you are wearing. Without a belt, I needed a race number pinned front and back, so my post-swim pink top was a necessity (see post transition 1 pix): but too hot on the day.
- Do some training! My last time swimming was, erm, April. And perhaps it was March since I’ve been on the road bike. 10 km or so a week of running really isn’t enough. Illness was a factor. Though should perhaps have put in a little more effort too.
- 250-500 ml (on the bike) is plenty for this length of event.
- Work out whether one is expected to wear a sports bra – or not – for the swim. Am a little confused about this. Nudity in transitions is banned but probably wearing too much for the swim (as well as the bike and run section) is also not helpful.
- Some others. Having supposedly signed up with (an unnamed) two more sportsmen, I was the only one who actually started. Come on peepz: sign yourselves up and turn up!