With continental jetlag being what it is, there was time for another cup of tea and even an unexpected game of tickle wrestling with the kids before pick up :-). At 8-30am, Hannes, Diana, and Markus arrived. All aboard M’s very fine 1988 VW motor, we headed off for Stanage and arrived about 11-15 am – to lovely Peaks sunshine.
- Some scrambling: various bits and bobs.
- Grotto Slab: Led by M, followed by H&D, solo’d by me. Bit of a wait to start this one.
- The Black Chimney: Led by me, followed by M&D, bailed by H: One move, then a sustained wriggle, and a tight squash – not to everyone’s taste!
- Black Hawk Left Traverse: Worth it for the name alone. Led by M, followed by H, D, &me.
- Flying Buttress: at my insistence. Probably rather ambitious given H&D’s non-existent experience. But they were game, and both made it up – in some style.
- Christmas Crack: This one more at M’s insistence; who was in the groove, and who led it rather impressively. Followed by me.
Thoughts. I probably should try to be a little braver in leading. Whenever climbing there is always someone with more experience than myself. So it seems natural to follow rather than lead. But, though usually a bit terrified along a VD or 4ish route, I don’t tend to come entirely unstuck. So that’s my May resolution: offer to lead some VDiffs next time.
But, far more important! M has located a great curry house in Hathersage. Dinner was fabulous – although after stuffing ourselves, it did mean M was the only one awake for the drive back – lots of additional kudos points to him.